Gain real work experience with a Salem Five Summer Internship
Each year, Salem Five Bank offers paid, 12-week internship opportunities that offer Interns broad exposure to our work, community, and colleagues. Summer Internships are personalized, and we work to accommodate each Intern’s evolving interests, while providing exposure to many facets of the banking industry.
Exactly what does a Salem Five Summer Intern do?
Because the Internship is often a time of career exploration, throughout the program we offer Interns the chance to:
- Interact directly with all levels of management
- Develop professional skills and a network of connections
- Gain a working knowledge of the entire organization
- Work in a variety of business areas during their internship, so that they may gain valuable experience and develop relationships with employees across the organization
As contributing members of the business, Interns in recent years have:
- Been responsible for daily work assignments, individual projects, and sometimes group projects with fellow Interns
- Completed analytical work
- Designed and executed special projects
- Attended client meetings
- Observed executive meetings, including a CEO roundtable discussion offering the opportunity to ask questions and share ideas
Mentorship and Training
Throughout the program, the Interns work with a team of three Salem Five employees:
- A department manager will provide providing day-to-day guidance throughout the internship.
- An assigned mentor enhances the Intern’s experience, helping students make the most of their internship. Mentors serve as teacher, supporter, and evaluator. They’re available for questions, advice, and support on projects and assignments, as well as career guidance and coaching throughout the program. Mentors often become part of the student’s network long after the internship is over.
- A Human Resources Strategic Business Partner who acts as a collaborative partner, assisting the Intern throughout recruiting, onboarding, evaluation, and exit surveys. The HR Strategic Partner is available to answer questions during the program; he or she holds periodic check-ins to ensure the program is meeting the Intern’s expectations and to provide guidance to Interns, managers, and mentors.
Training classes and/or seminars allow Interns to develop their professional skills and learn new concepts. Summer Interns receive an evaluation at the end of the assignment, giving them feedback on career development opportunities.
Interns included in Salem Five’s social events
The Summer Internship Program is a positive, worthwhile experience for Salem Five and the students; we all learn from each other. We include social and professional development activities in the program to help Interns get to know our team members and fellow Interns. Recent events have included welcome lunches, Red Sox games, company summer outings, golf tournaments, and community events.
How to apply for a Salem Five Summer Internship
Internships for the summer will be posted on our website in mid-November; you may also find opportunities posted on your college’s careers page. Please apply for internships online through the job posting on our website as early as possible; we generally start interviewing over the holiday breaks. Thank you for your interest in Salem Five.
It was amazing for interns to be able to sit down and have casual conversation with Executives and the CEO.John Smith