Heritage Salem Five Charitable Foundation Awards $30,000 to Eight Local Nonprofits
Salem, Mass., November 30, 2017 – As part of its long-standing commitment to help build strong, thriving communities, Salem Five recently awarded a total of $30,000 to eight local nonprofit organizations on behalf of the Heritage Salem Five Charitable Foundation.
The recipients were:
- Beverly Children’s Learning Center, an early childhood education and care program that provides an affordable, safe environment to all children so they receive the high quality education, nurturing care, good nutrition, physical activities and opportunities for creative exploration to grow and thrive.
- Catholic Charities North, a nonprofit that provides impactful services to low-income populations on the North Shore. The agency offers a wide array of programming to help the region's most in-need individuals and families, allowing them to better care for themselves and contribute to their communities.
- Citizens Inn, an organization that works to help families and individuals who are experiencing a housing crisis or food insecurity. Its full spectrum of services provides comprehensive assistance to each person based on their specific needs. Citizens Inn, now merged with Haven from Hunger, has served families and individuals across the North Shore for more than 34 years.
- Habitat for Humanity North Shore, a nonprofit that partners with families and individuals in need to build or improve a place they can call home. Established in 1985, they have completed 38 homes and have four more under construction.
- HAWC (Healing Abuse Working for Change), a leading domestic violence agency in Massachusetts that provides a domestic violence helpline, emergency shelter, legal services, advocacy and counseling services to more than 2,500 families on the North Shore each year.
- Mission of Deeds, a nonprofit dedicated to improving the lives of people in need by providing purchased beds, donated furniture and household items, free of charge, to those living in Middlesex and Essex Counties.
- Salem Backpack Program, a service provided by the Salem Pantry, that seeks to relieve hunger and support academic achievement by providing Salem elementary school children in need with nutritious food over the weekend. The program currently serves more than 150 children at seven Salem elementary schools.
- You’re With Us!, an organization that creates inclusion opportunities for young adults with disabilities. The program identifies and trains college clubs, groups, and teams to be welcoming and supportive peers to the differently abled. The college group then creates a Positive Experience Design (PED) customized for the young adult to help him or her transition from school to an adult life in the community.
The Heritage Salem Five Charitable Foundation, created to honor the charitable giving legacy of Heritage Co-Operative Bank in its 2006 merger with Salem Five, awards grants semi-annually to nonprofit organizations operating in the communities of Salem, Marblehead, Beverly, Peabody, or Danvers who target one or more of its primary areas of focus: education, health and human services, youth programs, affordable housing and community development.
The foundation is overseen by President Donald S. Glass, who was a member of the board of directors at the former Heritage Co-Operative Bank and now serves as a member of the Salem Five executive board of trustees.
“A dedication to serving our local communities is at the core of our values at Salem Five,” said Glass. “We feel that our communities are best served by supporting the local agencies that work every day to make a difference in the lives of people in-need. It’s a pleasure to recognize these wonderful organizations for their achievements and help further their causes through Heritage Salem Five Foundation grants.”