Safety Tips for using an ATM
ATMs are a quick and easy way to withdraw cash, check account balances, transfer funds, and more. You'll find convenient Salem Five ATMs just around the corner, and thousands of partner ATMs all over the world. Wherever you use your Salem Five ATM card, you can protect yourself and your money by remembering these important safety tips:
Before the Transaction
- Never approach an ATM if you have any doubts or concerns regarding the ATM environment. If you notice anything or anyone suspicious near the ATM, pass it by and use another ATM or come back at another time.
- Do not approach an ATM after dark if the lights at the ATM site do not appear to be bright enough or if the ATM is obstructed from view.
- Report the problem to the bank or provider that operates the ATM as soon as possible. When possible, take a companion along when using an ATM, especially after dark.
- When approaching a walk-up ATM, park your car close to the machine. Do not leave your car running or key in the ignition.
- When using a drive-up ATM, keep the car running and the door locked. Before lowering your car window, observe the surrounding area. If anyone or anything looks suspicious, drive away immediately.
- To minimize time at the ATM, try to fill out all forms (deposit slips, etc.) beforehand. Have your card out and ready for use.
During the Transaction
- If you see anyone or anything suspicious while conducting a transaction, cancel your transaction and leave immediately.
- Stand between the ATM and anyone waiting to use the terminal so that others cannot see your PIN (Personal Identification Number) or transaction amount.
After the Transaction
- Once you have completed your transaction, take your money, card and receipt and immediately move away from the terminal. Never leave the ATM with your wallet and/or cash exposed.
- Do not leave your ATM receipt or discard it carelessly. Retain the receipt with your account records.
- If anyone follows you after making your transaction, go immediately to a crowded, well-lit area and call the police.
Safekeeping Your Card and Code
- Treat your ATM card like cash. Keep it in a safe place. Don't leave it lying around.
- Keep your "secret code" a secret. Your ATM card will only work with your PIN. Memorize your PIN. Never write your PIN on your card. Never let someone else enter your PIN for you.
- Do not reveal your PIN over the telephone, even if the caller claims to be with the bank or a law enforcement official.
- Do not lend your card or give your PIN to others.
- To keep your account information confidential, always be sure to take your receipts and transaction records with you.
- Check your account balances online and verify each ATM transaction. If there seems to be a discrepancy, please notify us at once.
- If your card is lost, stolen, or if you think an unauthorized person(s) is using your PIN, please call us immediately at 978.745.5555 or 800.850.5000.